Young People


The following information can be viewed at link at the bottom of the page. It is an information site for children and young people in care in England & Wales. It covers many topics from your rights in care to what happens when you leave care. It also explains how the law is different if you are 'accommodated', as opposed to being under a care order. The information is given in a question and answer format. The information is updated every 6 months. The site has now been updated to include the Human Rights Act.


This site has been created by NCH with Resolution, formerly The Solicitors Family Law Association, in consultation with many other parties listed on the credits page. This site is not interactive and cannot provide individual advice. The answers given to the questions on this site have to be general in nature, but we hope that they will point you in the right direction. If you want more detail, we suggest you speak to your solicitor, or any of the persons on the further contacts page.

Sexual or Physical Abuse If you experience abuse from your foster carers, the staff or other residents in a children's home, or a family member with whom you are living, you should speak immediately to an adult you trust, such as a teacher or your social worker. If you cannot do this for any reason, you could telephone one of the agencies set up to help children, like ChildLine, the NSPCC, or the Who Cares Trust. What you say to them will be totally confidential, and you do not need to give your name.

Do not keep this problem to yourself.

The telephone numbers are:

ChildLine: 0800-1111 NSPCC: 0808-800 5000 Childline in Care: 0800-88 4444 (3.30 - 9.30pm, monday to friday; 2.00 - 8.00pm, weekends) Voice: 0808 800 5792 All these telephone calls are free.


For all referrals, please call 0121 554 9077 and/or complete the referral form available to download on the Referrals page.

Find out more